2006 Greatest Weight Held
Important Guidelines and Information:
Boat Construction Project - this is an in-class partner project with an individual/partner write-up. The goal of this project is to help experience and reinforce concepts of buoancy and density while continuing to practice the scientific method. In this project, your group will be given materials to build the boat and together you will decide how to utilize the materials for construction. The question we will be attempting to answer is: What boat design will float the most cargo.
Boat Project Sequence:
- Project Proposal
- Background Research
- Initial Designs
- Practice design
- Group Collaboration
- Data Processing using MS Excel
- Data Analysis and Conclusion
- You will be given limited materials. Only these materials may be used.
- 1 8.5x11" card stock
- 30x45 cm of foil
- 75cm duct tape
- 4 straws
- You have one period to build.
- Take boat design notes, approximate volume, digital picture, boat weight. Then the boat is placed in the test tank. Pennies are slowly added until the boat sinks. The pennies are weight to determine the weight held before sinking.
Helpful Links for Research:
Buoyant Force - Awesome Java Applet that provides a great demonstration that shows how buoyant force works.
Boat Hull Designs - Shows four main types of boat hulls.
Site Created by: Sean Gardinier